Thank you so much for helping aid my body in such a time of need. The staff at Therapy Unlimited is extraordinary. The are very present with their patients. Sam is extremely caring & compassionate. He always goes above & beyond to understand & help his patients. I highly recommend Sam & his assistants to anyone looking to improve their body’s needs. Thank you!
MINIMIZING YOUR RISK OF FALLS
How Big Is the Problem?
The Center for Disease Control and Prevention’s (CDC) National Center for Injury Prevention and Control reports:
- More than one-third (1/3) of adults 65 and older fall each year in the United States;
- Falls are the leading cause of injury deaths for older adults;
- In 2003, about 1.8 million people 65 and older were treated in emergency departments for nonfatal falls, and about 460,000 of these patients were hospitalized;
- The rates of fall-related deaths among older adults rose significantly over the past decade;
- Many individuals who fall develop a fear of falling. That may cause them to limit activity, leading to reduced mobility and physical fitness and increasing their risk for additional falls; and
- In 2000, direct medical costs totaled $179 million for fatal falls and $19 billion for nonfatal fall injuries.
What are the risk factors for falls?
How can I manage my fall risk?
What do I do if I fall?
Answers to those questions and more can be found by clicking the side links for additional information.